Saturday, April 24, 2010

Eggs-Emrbyos-Uterus

Well Kip and I had our first FET on April 13, 2010 and it went well. When we got there I went in the room had acupuncture and a valium just like last time, laid on the table and relaxed. This happened for about an hour and I was dying to know how many of our 4 embryos survived thawing from cryopreservation. (The deep freezer!)
Backing up about 5 days...we had been communicating with our RE regarding how many embryos to transfer. At 60% thaw rate we were certain we would lose at least one embryo to the thawing process. We had decided that since we would be out of frozen embryos we would try to convince our RE to transfer all surviving embryos (under the assumption there would be 3 viable).
Back to transfer day. Dr. S (RE) walked in and said "Okay well we have 2..." (insert my heart sinking from the idea of 3 but happy to have at least 2)"...good embryos and 2 poor embryos, but they all survived and I'm willing to transfer all 4 if you guys want to." Now this is not common practice for a woman of my ripe young age ;) (28). So I was floored. But I can't get anxious or stressed because I'm not suppose to cramp or get excited or allow my uterus to move one hair (my uterus was zen by then). So I look at Kip and Dr. S backs up and looks down probably thinking we should decide this and gave us a minute. I looked at Kip (who previously was apprehensive about 3 but felt it was the best route to take in our specific situation) and he nodded. I said ok we're doing this? He nodded again, and then we had to initial our lives away to give Dr. S the go ahead to transfer all 4 embryos. She left and got all "sterile" and came back. Appearing through the door where magic happens came the embryologist to collect the catheter, disappeared and came back with our air bubble, embryo, embryo, embryo, embryo, air bubble, air bubble filled catheter! It was a tense moment for which I could not physically BE or GET or THINK about the word tense! ZEN...zen....zeeeennn. Dr. S thread the catheter in and placed the 4 embryos. I continued zen for another 40 minutes, including another round of acupuncture pins. Then we took our pictures and well wishes from everyone and headed home.
The following week (Transfer was 4/13 Tuesday @ 2pm) I laid in bed/chair and did nothing. I was, as the RE ordered, a princess. Through the weekend I allowed myself some activity, not a lot but enough to maintain my sanity. Our first blood test will be 4/21 follow up blood draw and pregnancy results on Friday 4/23.
Eggs

Embryos
Uterus

1 comment: